WE AUDIT the impact of our products: Raw material, manufacturing and transportation | Minimalism brand
We really wanted to tell you this.
We have audited the impact of our garments and our manufacturing process and compared it to the impact of the textile industry that does not use organic or recycled materials . We explain:
A few months ago a client, before placing his order, wrote us the following:
"Everything you say on the web about awareness , manufacturing processes and organic or recycled materials seems phenomenal to me. But I don't trust it at all. Can you send me the certificates of your garments?" .
Obviously we sent them , but the story did not end there. This comment made us think:
- What if we could measure the impact of our products?
- What if our customers wanted to know?
- What if we tell it so that the textile industry is more transparent ?
- What if we audit ourselves so that everyone understands how we manufacture and the benefits that our garments have versus the normal textile industry?
Together with the greenstory team we have audited our entire manufacturing process . Taking into account the impact that each phase has on the environment. Putting special focus on the consumption of energy, water and CO2 emitted into the atmosphere .
We have measured:
- Impact of raw material extraction (organic cotton and recycled polyester).
- Impact of the treatment of this raw material .
- Impact of transporting this raw material to the place of handling and manufacturing.
- Impact of transporting the final product to our warehouse from the place of origin.
- Impact of shipping from our warehouse to our customers' homes.
What data has given us the study divided by raw material?
By using 100% certified organic cotton we manage to respect the environment, we eliminate the use of insecticides and pesticides in the processes as well as the use of chemical fertilizers that pollute the water. In numbers:
- 91% reduction in water consumption vs. conventional cotton.
- 35% reduction in energy consumption in the handling, treatment and transport of cotton.
- 55% reduction in CO2 emissions into the atmosphere.
We use recycled polyester from plastics and plastic substitutes in our backpacks and purses. In numbers:
- 54% reduction in water consumption vs. conventional polyester.
- 44% reduction in energy consumption in the handling, treatment and transport of polyester.
- 32% reduction in CO2 emissions into the atmosphere.
It is obvious that we are part of the problem but also part of the solution.
If we manufacture with organic and recycled materials, we ensure that the impact on the environment is less and the useful life of the products is longer . At Minimalism we have always kept in mind the famous 3 Rs: Reduce, recycle, reuse.
- Reduce – We want our customers to buy from us only when they need to. We promote this, for example, with the campaign: "Don't buy it if you don't need it" .
- Recycle : We use recycled and recyclable materials in our products and packaging.
- Reuse : With the "Zero textile waste" campaign we want to encourage everyone to donate or recycle the clothes they don't use when they buy new clothes.
As of today we have audited the entire manufacturing process and soon we will be carbon neutral in each of our orders.
If you are interested in knowing the report in full, you can click on the following link.
Any questions at your disposal at email@example.com